Mumps is a viral disease that causes the salivary glands to swell to abnormal sizes. It is contagious and could have serious long-term effects on the patient’s body, especially in boys who could grow up to have fertility issues. Children are the ones who are most likely to be affected by this ailment though it has also been reported in adults.
- Ginger is also a well-known remedy for mumps. Peel a whole root of fresh ginger and grind this into a fine pulp. Use this fine pulp as a salve over the swollen area. If it is too watery, try to apply this over the area with the use of a clean bandage or clean piece of cloth and hold this cloth over the area by tying it around the head with the use of a bandana or a longer piece of cloth or an elastic headband.
- Another herbal treatment one can use is the mixture of powdered margosa leaves and turmeric. Combine equal parts of these two and make these into a paste with the use of a little water. Apply this mixture over the swollen areas of the face. You can also apply a cloth soaked in mullein tea to the cheeks. This will help to combat with swelling or inflammation.
- Asparagus’ seeds. These are to be taken with equal quantity of fenugreek seeds and should be grinded well to make a paste like form. This paste is to be applied on the cheeks i.e. affected area. This will help reducing the swelling.
- Another good remedy for mumps is margosa leaves. These leaves act as a good anti-inflammatory agent for mumps. For this, make powdered form of margosa leaves and mix it with turmeric to make a paste. This can be applied over the cheek and the area below the ears.
- Try to avoid acidic drink and beverages. This may include carbonated water, lime juice, lemonade etc. These drinks stimulate the salivary glands to produce more saliva and hence, may give more trouble in the mumps.
- Chebulic myroblan is one of the good for mumps. Make a thick paste from chebulic myroblan by rubbing it in water and apply this over the swellings..
- Make a paste from powdered form of margosa leaves and turmeric. Apply this externally over the affected parts. This will help you to treat mumps quicklySimple the paste made out of ginger (fresh) and little water. Apply it over the swollen area. This will help reducing the mumps’ swelling and will make your cheeks in shape.
- The leaves of banyan tree are considered to be very good for treating mumps. These leaves are to be smeared with ghee (butter oil) and heated on the flame. Apply them on the affected area and bandage on it. Keep them for couple of hours and then, take them off. This will help reducing the swelling.