Diarrhea is uncomfortable and unpleasant, but generally no big deal in otherwise healthy adults. However, if diarrhea becomes a chronic condition, the situation changes. Or if it affects the very young, the elderly, or the chronically ill, it can be dangerous. And if you’re not careful to drink enough fluids, you could find yourself complicating what should have been a simple enough situation.
There are essentially two types of diarrhea: acute and chronic. Thankfully, the vast majority of diarrhea is acute, or short term. This type of diarrhea keeps you on the toilet for a couple of days but doesn’t stick around long. Acute diarrhea is also known as non-inflammatory diarrhea. Its symptoms are what most people associate with the condition: watery, frequent stools accompanied by stomach cramps, gas and nausea.
- A simple and effective remedy for treating diarrhea would be to take banana along with curd.
- Take ½ tsp lemon juice, ½ tsp ginger juice and 1/4 tsp pepper powder. Intake this mixture twice a day.
- Boil to 2 cups of water and allow it to get warm. Mix 3 tsp of black pepper and 1 ½ tsp of kelp to it. Drink this mixture to cure diarrhea.
- Ginger is also effective in treating diarrhea. Intake ginger tea to stop the cramps and pain.
- Drinking lots of fluids would be beneficial in curing diarrhea. . Drinks like ginger ale or carrot juice is good for making the stools less watery. Avoid taking caffeine and alcohol.
- Cook brown rice in water for about 45 minutes. Once cooked, strain the mixture. Have the rice and drink the water in which the rice has been cooked.
- In half cup of boiling water, mix 1 tsp of ginger juice. Drink this mixture when hot after every hour.
- Prepare a paste of lemon along with seeds and add a pinch of salt to it. A tsp of this paste 2-3 times in a day.
- Take 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water with each meal. This is an effective way to cure diarrhea.
- Intake of mango nut powder with water cures diarrhea.
- Take 1/2 tsp of fenugreek seeds and add 1/2 tsp of roasted cumin seeds. Add 4 tsp of yogurt (curd) to it. Have this mixture three times a day.
- Add 4 tablespoons of honey to 8 ounces of water. Have this mixture as it is helpful in treating diarrhea.
- Take fennel and white cumin seeds in equal amounts. Roast this mixture and take this in a dose of 3 grams with water. Have this in a span of three hours.
- Take 200 grams of buttermilk with roasted cumin seeds and half gram of black salt. Drink this mixture to treat diarrhea.
- Drinking starchy liquids such as arrowroot water, barley water, rice gruel and coconut water are highly beneficial in treating diarrhea.
- Take a glass of milk and boil it for 10 minutes. Discard the skin that forms on the milk. Add hot chocolate and drink this.
- Take a cup of cold milk and blend handful of chopped red radishes and ½ tsp of cornstarch. It is a natural way to treat diarrhea.
- Powder 10 grams of dry fruit of Indian gooseberry and 5 grams of black Chebulic myrobalan. Have 1 gram of this mixture two times a day.
Diarrhea in childrean
- Give your child extra liquids to drink. Home made ORS, coconut water, rice kanji, dal, chaas, lassi with salt etc are recommended.
- Do not give tea, colas, fruits or fluids with extra sugar.
- Milk is usually recommended unless the child has prolonged diarrhea or lactose intolerance.
- Avoid over the counter medications to control diarrhea.
- A bland diet is recommended for 1 – 2 days. Give food like khicdi (rice gruel), rice and curd, boiled vegetables, soups and bananas.
Diarrhea in pregnancy
Diarrhea is one of the few intestinal problems a pregnant woman may actually avoid. Diarrhea can occur early in labor but it can also be the result of a gastrointestinal infection, such as the ingestion of bacteria. Moderate diarrhea can lead to dehydration and even uterine contractions during pregnancy. Home remedies for diarrhea may be safe in pregnancy but they should only be attempted under the advice of a health care professional.
- Ginger various methods of taking ginger to attempt to relieve an upset stomach or diarrhea.
- Boiling water with the ginger root to form tea or consuming 1 gram of ginger root powder may be effective in settling the stomach upset. This remedy isn’t likely to fight off the infectious organism, if that is the source of diarrhea. This remedy is generally regarded as safe for use for up to four days.
- Drink ready-made cumin tea or add cumin seeds into boiling water for a hot cumin tea. This helps relieve gas that accumulated in the stomach. Cumin tea is also given to pregnant women who get false labor pain which is usually caused by stomach gas.
- Eating banana eases diarrhea. And it offsets the acids that cause an upset stomach.
- Put half a teaspoon of baking soda to half a glass of water. Mix them well and drink the solution to relieve stomach problems like hyperacidity, indigestion and heartburn. If the problem persists, take another half a glass mix after two hours.
- If you’re suffering from diarrhea, take 5 to 10 grams of amla powder and combine it with a glass of buttermilk. Drink the solution to help ease the problem.