Not every sore throat requires a trip to the doctor, but over-the-counter remedies can be pretty pricey. Tipnut has put together a list of 12 sore throat remedies that you can make with ingredients that you’re likely to already have on hand.
Here are a few examples of some of Tipnut’s sore throat remedies:
- Cayenne Pepper Gargle – Mix an eight teaspoon of cayenne in a half cup of warm water and gargle. Mix it up and use it frequently during the day.
- Salt Water – This is a common remedy, and it works! Just gargle a mixture of one tablespoon salt and one cup of water every two hours.
- Honey and Lemon – Mix together one teaspoon of lemon juice and two teaspoons of honey with a cup of boiling water. Cool slightly and drink to soothe sore throat pain.
Sore throat and strep throat
A sore throat is a common and minor condition in which the back of the throat becomes irritated in most cases (90% of them) is cause by a virus, such as the one that causes colds and flu or the bacteria that cause strep infection. In cases of bacterial or viral infections most antibiotics are ineffective.
Other causes of sore throat are: medication, surgery, radiation, dust, smoke, chemicals, loud talking, tooth and gum infection, allergies.
- Take echinacea this herb it’s antiviral and antibacterial, speeds healing,
- Horseradish is another herb that many use in the kitchen but it also has excellent properties to treat sore throat and upper respiratory tract infections, reduces fever, and expels concentrations of mucus.
- Use kava kava as a gargle for soothing and analgesic pain relief. Helps insomnia cause by coughing and sore throat.
- Myrrh is an antiseptic and anti-inflammatory, very powerful and excellent for a chronic sore throat. It acts also as an expectorant and decongestant. It helps cure gum disease.
- Barberry Tincture keeps strep from attacking the lining of the throat. Take 15-20 drops in 1/4 cup of water 3 times daily for 10 days.
- Garlic oil Relieves swallowing difficulties. Take 3-4 drops in 1/4 cup of water onces a day as Gargle.
Throat infection and common cold
Since the last few days I am suffering from throat infection. This is the first time that my throat infection has turned very very bad. I keep getting terrible ear aches. To add to this, I also got high fever of 102 C. Took an antibiotic course of 7 days, but still I feel no relief. The best is KADA.
Ingredients for Kada:
1 tsp Fennel Seeds / Badishep
1 tsp Black peppercorns
1 tsp Coriander seeds
1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Jeera
1 tsp dry ginger / Soonth
Mix all the ingredients and grind to form a powder.
Add this to 2 cups of boiling water. Let it get boiled for sometime say 5-10 Min’s.
Strain and sip this hot Kada.
This has to be had for 3-4 continuous days or till you feel better. This will provide quick relief for sore throats.
Mix 1 tsp black pepper powder and 1 tsp dry ginger powder in 1 tablespoon honey. This has to be had twice a day.
This is also good to provide quick relief to sore throats and common cold.
Salt water gargles in Luke warm water – always the best and effective.
Mix turmeric powder in boiling milk along with 1 tsp sugar. Drink this hot turmeric milk to get relief from common cold.
If you are a non-vegetarian, do drink hot and sour chicken soup.
Simply eat honey. Honey has the natural antibiotic and can be had anytime when the throat turns bad.
Just eat 2-3 raw garlic pods 5 times a day for 3 days.